Fanfiction Discussion

Home Forums Week 4 Forums Wednesday 7/15 Compare Fanfiction Discussion

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Annette Varghese
    Participant

Throughout this course, we have discussed a multitude of fanfictions and what can be described or labeled as fanfiction. From “Death of the Author” to the Marvel Universe, fanfiction has proved that it is very diverse and for everyone. I thought it was interesting how there is such a strong stigma towards fanfiction literature when many of the multimedia effects we see today are considered fanfiction.

One example of this would be Black Panther and how the new comics written by Ta-Nehisi Coates features a whole new perspective from the usual Marvel movies both in its cast and its plot. The new Black Panther movie featured a predominantly African/ African-American cast and introduced this new idea of African power and success that is not usually featured in mainstream media.

I think one main observation I made throughout reading and watching these different types of fanfiction is that it tells a new, more relevant story than the original. In most cases, fanfiction gives the characters and extra dimension and showcases their morality and identity in ways that the original did not. For example in Watchmen we see that while the characters somewhat stay in character, their objective is different and new, more relevant issues are introduced.

Finally, there is also the division between literary and non-literary fanfiction where written fanfiction is usually authored by one person, but movies and tv shows have multiple writers that all contribute. By having a single author, fanfiction (and other fiction) has the ability to insert the individual’s views on certain events and the character’s dialogue and personality. On the other hand, when there are multiple writers of a show, we see more action and fighting rather than deep conversations and thought processes. I think this is why there is less of a stigma towards fanfiction when it is projected through visual media instead of written media.

roi
    Participant

I’m really interested in your point about fanfic authors focusing on morality and specifically identity. We absolutely see that with Watchmen, and we see it in less accredited fanfics posted on forums as well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.